Re: List of major modes?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: List of major modes?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:20:24 +0000

On 15 Nov 2005, at 10:22, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

So how about having a property `emacs-mode' on symbols, with valid values (major minor major-minor nil)? Getting a list of major modes would then
be trivial.  (OK, for Emacs 23. ;-)

How do you make third-party packages compatible without forcing them to update their modes?

Richard Stallman wrote:

That is straightforward, but it would be substantial trouble.
Is it worth the trouble?

What benefit would it provide?  What was the reason for asking
for this?

This thread started a while ago when I was asking for a function that would give me a list of major mode. What I wanted to write has a "switch-to-major-mode" function which would offer - via a completions list - a good overview of what modes are available. I think that would benefit new users who would be able to explore Emacs that way.

It was found that there was no clean and reliable way to find all installed major modes.

Honestly, I don't think implementing a complex mechanism is worth the trouble for Emacs 22 at this point. Existing modes wouldn't be compatible anyways. The above "newbie function" is probably not that important right now.

What might make sense is to add the above property as a recommendation to the mode conventions, pointing out that this will be a requirement for Emacs 23 modes.