Re: new apropos feature in Emacs-22

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: new apropos feature in Emacs-22
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:38:33 +0200

>     a  command-apropos.  Give a list of words or a regexp, to get a list of
>           commands whose names match (they contain two or more of the words,
>                                                    ===========
>           or a match for the regexp).  See also the  apropos  command.
>
>     I don't understand why two or more of the words, if it is possible to
>     give just one word and find a command whose names contains one word.
>
> Because, when you give multiple words, only instances that contain
> two or more of the words are shown.
>
>     Maybe more correct text is "they contain one or more of the words".
>
> That would be incorrect, in the case of a list of two or more words.
> But I agree this is a problem.  Who can find a correct solution?

What about not saying about the number of words:

    a  command-apropos.  Give a list of words or a regexp, to get a list of
            commands whose names match (they contain given words,
            or a match for the regexp).  See also the  apropos  command.

>     I see there is a new key binding `C-h d' for `apropos-documentation'.
>     Wouldn't it be better to reserve `C-h d' for something more useful
>     and to bind `apropos-documentation' to a new key prefix `C-h a'?
>
> Things are complex enough already, so I don't want to go that way.

Other useful apropos command are still unbound, so allocating a prefix
key for them would be good.  If not existing `C-h a', then maybe another
prefix key like `C-h A' or `C-h C-a'.

As for `C-h d', it might be useful to reserve it for other Help keys.
For example, I think that `describe-char' which is currently on `C-u
C-x =' is a typical Help command like other `describe-...' commands
(`describe-key', `describe-function', `describe-mode', ...).  I think
it needs a key binding on the `C-h' keymap and also to be mentioned in
`help-for-help-internal' and in the Help menu.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/