Re: Rant: key sequences aren't specified in the elisp manual.

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Rant: key sequences aren't specified in the elisp manual.
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:19:21 +0100

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

Hi, Emacs!

I've just spent ~ 2 hours trying to figure out from the elisp manual the
various ways of binding the key sequence "control-C control-backspace".

This is written in such an abstruse and unclear way in the elisp manual
(page "Changing Key Bindings") that it's probably easier to try every
vaguely plausible combination than to try to figure it out from the
manual.

In fact, I figured out "[?\C-c \C-backspace]" by just such
experimentation.  Trouble is, this is rejected by XEmacs, and I want the
specification to be portable.  So I would like a list of all the ways
Emacs can do it, so that I can try them one by one in XEmacs.

Surely, surely, surely, there should be a clear description of these
things in the elisp manual?

For a start, why is there not a "@section Specifying Key Sequences" under
the @chapter "Keymaps"?  I arrive at "Keymaps", look at the menu, and try
to guess which section describes key sequences.  "Changing Key Bindings"
looks to be the only candidate.
I agree it would be very good to have this in the manual. When I not too long ago tried to learn more about this I found the page http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/KeybindingGuide. The opinion about that page seems however to differ.

Though I too lack the knowledge to write this.