Re: Longlines and insert

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: Longlines and insert
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:28:41 +0200

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Paul Pogonyshev wrote:
>  >Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>  >>Wouldn't the easiest thing be to add a call to
>  >>(set-hard-newline-properties (point-min) (point)) after
>  >>mail-header-separator and its trailing newline have been inserted?
>  >
>  > Maybe, but that defeats the intention of providing a generic solution.
>
> How is the set-hard-newline-properties function any less generic than
> the hard-newline variable?  (Remember, the variable proposed by Kim is
> not a boolean that controls the behavior of the insert function; it is a
> string that has to be explicitly passed to the insert function.)

Uh, sorry, I don't know how I was reading your message, but I managed to
seriously misread it.

Yes, `set-hard-newline-properties' looks fine as well, especially if it
is documented.  But I think we should add that `hard-newline' constant
too.  Sometimes you need to pass strings to various functions and don't
have a (clean) way to work directly with the buffer.  In such cases the
constant is useful.

Paul