Re: Bug in file name completion

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Bug in file name completion
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:55:34 -0500

    It does not say that directories ending in any of those strings are
    ignored. However the code in file_name_completion (in dired.c) looks too
    me like it ignores directories ending in those strings.

    Which is the intended behaviour?

The intended behavior is the current behavior.  Every element of
completion-ignored-extensions does a suffix match.

We could consider changing that behavior, but that is what was intended.

If this is always matched against absolute file names, then we don't
need to change the way the variable's value is used.  We only need to change
the default value.  But if it is sometimes matched against file names
without directory parts, we need to change the way the name is interpreted,
somehow.