Re: hard-newline changes in lisp/gnus/message.el

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: hard-newline changes in lisp/gnus/message.el
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 14:07:11 -0500

Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:

when changing lisp/gnus/*.el, please keep in mind that this directory
is synced by Miles Bader with the (primary) Gnus repository on
gnus.org in order to simplify the process of including a new stable
Gnus version in Emacs.  The stable version of Gnus (the v5-10 branch
in Gnus CVS) should be identical[1] to the version in Emacs CVS and it
should work with Emacs 20.7 and up and XEmacs 21.1 and up.

It would be nice to discuss possibly controversial changes on
emacs-devel and address@hidden (Gnus development list) before
committing.

Sorry, I wasn't aware of the synching.

As for `hard-newline': Obviously `hard-newline' is not defined in
Emacs < 22.  I'm not sure what's the best way to deal with this.  I'd
suggest to define `message-hard-newline' in `message.el' as follows
and use it instead of `hard-newline'.

Why not:

(if (not (boundp hard-newline))
   (defvar hard-newline (propertize "\n" 'hard t 'rear-nonsticky '(hard))))