Re: emacs trying to load too many files at startup

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: emacs trying to load too many files at startup
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 14:16:06 -0600 (CST)

Dan Nicolaescu wrote:

   The /tmp/emacs.strace file shows that emacs is trying to load at
   startup a lot of files that are dumped anyway so there should be no
   reason to load them at startups.

Do you really mean that Emacs is trying to load (execute the Lisp
expressions in) the file or that it is just trying to open those files?

   This is seen by looking at stat system calls like:

How can you use stat to check that Emacs executed the Lisp expressions
in a file?

   stat64 is a syscall, so you cannot set a breakpoint on it. I set a
   breakpoint on Fexpand_file_name instead and that lead to:

   (gdb)  xbacktrace
   "locate-file-internal"
   "locate-file"
   "mapcar"
   "command-line"
   "normal-top-level"

Unless I misunderstand something, the code in locate-file-internal
tries to open files, not load them:

{
  Lisp_Object file;
  int fd = openp (path, filename, suffixes, &file, predicate);
  if (NILP (predicate) && fd > 0)
    close (fd);
  return file;
}