Re: po file charset via auto-coding-functions

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: po file charset via auto-coding-functions
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 03:16:19 +0200

>> As you see, this binds buffer-file-name temporarily to
>> something like /home/handa/temp.po.gz!/home/handa/temp.po so
>> that find-operation-coding-system (called in
>> decode-coding-inserted-region) can surely find
>> po-find-file-coding-system to be called, and it can surely
>> find the current buffer by get-file-buffer.
>
> Hmm... that's not what I had understood.  The above looks fishy.
> Why not pass /home/handa/temp.po to find-operation-coding-system (just as
> it is used for auto-mode-alist)?

Wouldn't it be better to use the same syntax for members of
all supported archivers (gzip, zip, tar)?

Currently `buffer-file-name' of the visited archive member
uses three different syntaxes:

"/home/handa/temp.po.gz"
"/home/handa/temp.zip:vi.po"
"/home/handa/temp.tar!vi.po"

After choosing one syntax, `buffer-file-name' would be:

"/home/handa/temp.po.gz!temp.po"
"/home/handa/temp.zip!vi.po"
"/home/handa/temp.tar!vi.po"

--