Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:40:28 -0600

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:
>>    My best thought right now is `C-xC-,'
>
> Except that C-, is not available on a tty.

You might have thought that I would have bright enough to check for
that, especially since it came up before.  You would have been wrong.

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> It would be easier to start Emacs Calc mode with `M-+ M-+' than `C-x
> C-, C-,' but `C-x C-, g' is easier to type on my keyboard than `M-+ g'

But M-+ has been pretty much turned down.

Since we pretty much need a two key prefix, one starting with C-x
seems the way to go.  I'm pretty sure C-x <letter or number> or even
C-x C-<letter> would be turned down, so that leaves C-x <other symbol>
or C-x C-<other symbol>.

For C-x <other symbol>, <other symbol> = `!', `%', `&', `*', `_', `~',
`|', `\', `"', `:' or `,' might work, and some of them might be
accessible without the shift key on most keyboards.  But without the
extra control key, I'm not sure they're "out of the way" enough to get
the green light.

For C-x C-<symbol>, <other symbol>=`\' or `]' might work.  Both
characters are accessible on my keyboard without the shift key, but I
don't think that's the case for all keyboards.

So there is no perfect key sequence; are there any thoughts on which
would be least annoying?

Jay