Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 11:19:07 +0200

>> It looks like the only symbol listed above that is consistently
>> available without a modifier key (to avoid having to change the
>> modifier keys while typing the key sequence in) is the comma.
>>
>> Before I formally request the keybinding, are there any objections to
>> using `C-x,' for `calc-dispatch'?
>
> It's so unmnemonic.  # at least means "number".

I agree.  `,' has "next, please" mnemonics like e.g. in `M-,' (next-tag).

> I don't have a better suggestion, though.

 From this long discussion I got the impression that the best way to
satisfy everyone and not to annoy long-time calc users is to leave the
old `M-#' calc keybinding unchanged.  The fact that it is not available
in gnus is not a tragedy.  It does nothing disastrous when accidentally
typed in the gnus summary buffer (unlike M-g where rescanning the group
without the user's consent is not desirable).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/