Re: Bug in Carbon port: browse-url-default-macosx-browser

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Bug in Carbon port: browse-url-default-macosx-browser
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:40:37 +0000

On 24 Nov 2005, at 17:23, Stefan Monnier wrote:

The browse-url functions have a bug on OS X: When a local file is browsed (such as during "Preview Buffer" in HTML(-Helper) mode), the system will
open the file in the application that is the default  handler for
.html files.
Chances are that this default handler is NOT the default browser, but an
editor such as Emacs itself.

By default .html files are opened in the browser, so if the user changed this config, I'd expect that he gets what he wants. I.e. I'm not convinced
it's a bug.

Two observations:
1. I installed my customized Emacs on a newly installed OSX 10.4.3, which defines html as an allowable extension in its Info.plist. This could have been Smultron or BBEdit or whatever alternatively. LaunchServices seemed to think that this was supposed to be the default handler for HTML files now - if you opened them, they're not displayed in the browser, but in the editor. When I chose "view buffer contents" in html mode, this didn't work as intended. I've had the same report from a much more seasoned user a while ago, and I didn't believe it until I saw it myself.

2. If html files are opened by default in an editor (a perfectly sensible configuration!), there is still a separate setting for the default browser. This is what you see in the Preferences of Camino or Safari. This is what "open" uses to open http:// URLs with. If you change the default browser, this will not change the HTML file handler. And that is what browse-url should do when browse-url-browser- function is set to 'browse-url-default-macosx-browser. And mind you, it is this symbol and not something like 'browse-url-default-html- file-handler.

"open" is defined to open http:// URLs with the default browser, but file:// URLs with the default handler for the specific file type.