Buffer listing in multiple frames/ttys

From: Len Trigg
Subject: Buffer listing in multiple frames/ttys
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:25:32 +1300

Hi all,

Many years ago I chose XEmacs, mainly becuase (at the time) it was the
only one that supported font-lock in a tty and multiple tty
connections to the one server.  A few months ago I switched over to
FSF Emacs-multi-tty and so far it's been going pretty well.  One
difference that has been niggling me is that XEmacs used to keep the
recently-used buffer listing on a per-tty/frame basis, whereas
Emacs-multi-tty seems to just have a global list.

For example, I typically have separate emacs tty's for my mail client,
for calendar/diary, and for my coding.  In XEmacs, list-buffers called
from the coding tty would list all the code-related buffers at the
top, whereas in multi-tty emacs, I get a mixture of buffers from all
three ttys.  It's obvious that the XEmacs way is preferrable.  Is
there any chance of this feature being implemented in the multi-tty
patch? (or is it even something that applies to the main Emacs branch?)

Cheers,
Len.

(The other issue is that other ttys get blocked if one of them is
waiting on input in the minibuffer.  Apparently this single keyboard
mode is intentional, but it's annoying nontheless, and certainly a
trick for new players)