Re: wish: right alt/meta to switch keyboard layout while pressed

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: wish: right alt/meta to switch keyboard layout while pressed
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 15:56:44 -0500

> Emacs has no way of handling it correctly out-of-the-box, since it uses
> internal input methods, which are a completely separate from `xkb'.

You mean you use Emacs's internal input methods.  I occasionally use them as
well, but I mostly use XIM input methods and they work just fine with Emacs.

>> Can you check with `xev' to see what events your right Alt key generates?
> It shows up as `Super_R', while the left Alt is `Alt_L'.

So maybe the physical key is located on the right side of the space bar and
it has a little bit of text on it that says "alt", so *you* think of it as
a "right alt key".
But as far as X clients are concerned this is not a "right alt key".

        Stefan