Re: Bug in Carbon port: browse-url-default-macosx-browser

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Bug in Carbon port: browse-url-default-macosx-browser
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 00:44:41 +0100

David Reitter wrote:

The problem is that browse-url doesn't do what it advertises: "Ask a WWW browser to load url." And that's the case for the very standard GNU Emacs -Q, easily reproducible:

Create an HTML file and save it under the name /tmp/test.tst

then call

(browse-url "file:///tmp/test.test")

(which is what the html-mode "View Buffer"  function does.)

No browser will start.

I think the implementation in Emacs for w32 is of the same type. I actually think it is quite practical most of the time. This way Emacs behaves as I expect it to on w32. Firefox installed itself so that it took care of this. It would not have been possible if Emacs explicitly specified the web browser. But maybe things works differently on Mac?

Maybe the doc string should be changed? Perhaps something like:

   Asked OS to give url to associated application (normally a web browser)

Or something better ;-)