Re: FW: Emacs non-ascii characters

From: Aidan Kehoe
Subject: Re: FW: Emacs non-ascii characters
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:49:12 +0100

 Ar an cúigiú lá is fiche de mí na Samhain, scríobh Jason Rumney:

 > > > en_GB at least needs to default to Latin-1 because of the pound sign.
 > >
 > >That’s a non-sequitur. en_GB environments typically have the pound sign
 > >available on the keyboard, and don’t need an input method for it.
 >
 > Right, but the variable in question sets up a Language Environment,
 > which is a lot more than just input-method.

Yeah, but the “lot more” doesn’t matter for en_GB English versus US English.
If a character isn’t in US-ASCII, the “English” environment goes for ISO
8859-1, which eliminates any incompatibilities with the Latin-1 environment,
_except for_ the input method.

--
I AM IN JAIL AND ALLOWED SEND ONLY ONE CABLE SINCE WAS ARRESTED WHILE
MEASURING FIFTEEN FOOT WALL OUTSIDE PALACE AND HAVE JUST FINISHED COUNTING