Re: wish: right alt/meta to switch keyboard layout while pressed

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: wish: right alt/meta to switch keyboard layout while pressed
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:39:02 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> Yes, that makes sense as well.
> >> So you'd want hitting Mode_switch to toggle the LEIM input method or would
> >> you want pressing to turn it off and releasing to turn it back on?
>
> > It seems in `xkb' Mode_switch disables alternative groups only, i.e. it
> > won't start typing in Russian if I hold Mode_switch while using the
> > English layout.  So, if you manage to implement something similar in
> > Emacs, it should probably behave like this (i.e. deactivate any
> > non-default input method) for consistency.
>
> I believe you misunderstood the question.  The question is whether the
> deactivation should be done while Mode_switch is pressed (as if it were
> some kind of modifier), or between two presses of Mode_switch, or yet
> something else.

Indeed, sorry.

It should be deactivated while the Mode_switch is hold.  I.e. it should
work like Shift, if you like.  Otherwise there's little point in it, since
I could just press `C-\' twice as well with not so much more trouble.  When
it works like a modifier, I can keep on typing as normal, while switching
to a different layout significantly disrupts the process.

Paul