Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:32:32 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
> From: David Reitter <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 00:21:58 +0000
>
> On 12 Nov 2005, at 07:11, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > No, please DON'T!!  We currently don't have a good way of checking
> > whether the menu's frame is visible.  The code used by David to do
> > that does not work in non-toolkit builds of Emacs (see another thread
> > where Juri about this), so installing it will disable many important
> > menu items in non-toolkit X builds.
> >
> > I suggest to wait with the patch until that other problem is resolved.
>
> Do you know if this problem (with menu-bar-menu-frame-live-and-
> visible-p I presume) has been solved now?

No, not yet.

> I didn't bother writing a workaround for this issue because I thought
> the original bug would be fixed sooner or later.

I'm not sure it's a bug, it could be a missing feature.  The issue is
how to determine that a frame that displays the current menu is
visible.  The code we are discussing tries to use menu-updating-frame,
but it looks like that variable is not a reliable way of finding the
frame in question at the point where we need it (which is when a menu
is dropped after a mouse click).  Perhaps someone could suggest a
better way of finding the menu's frame.