Re: Something is rotten with end-of-line and move-end-of-line

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Something is rotten with end-of-line and move-end-of-line
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:53:41 +0100

address@hidden (Lőrentey Károly) writes:

> Lőrentey Károly <address@hidden> writes:
>> The difference (a difference?) is inside fields:
>> `{beginning,end}-of-line' moves to the beginning/end of the field,
>> while `move-{beginning,end}-of-line' stops at the field boundaries:
>
> Sorry, I meant `move-{beginning,end}-of-line' goes to the actual line ends.

Both doc strings claim to merely go to the field boundaries:

beginning-of-line is an interactive built-in function in `C source code'.
(beginning-of-line &optional N)

Move point to beginning of current line.
With argument N not nil or 1, move forward N - 1 lines first.
If point reaches the beginning or end of buffer, it stops there.

This command does not move point across a field boundary unless doing so
would move beyond there to a different line; If N is nil or 1, and point
starts at a field boundary, point does not move.  To ignore field
boundaries, either bind `inhibit-field-text-motion' to t, or use the
`forward-line' function instead.  For instance, `(forward-line 0)' does
the same thing as `(beginning-of-line)', except that it ignores field
boundaries.

[back]

move-beginning-of-line is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.
It is bound to <home>.
(move-beginning-of-line ARG)

Move point to beginning of current display line.
With argument ARG not nil or 1, move forward ARG - 1 lines first.
If point reaches the beginning or end of buffer, it stops there.
To ignore intangibility, bind `inhibit-point-motion-hooks' to t.

This command does not move point across a field boundary unless doing so
would move beyond there to a different line; if ARG is nil or 1, and
point starts at a field boundary, point does not move.  To ignore field
boundaries bind `inhibit-field-text-motion' to t.

[back]