Re: Mode_switch in Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Mode_switch in Emacs
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:14:03 -0500

>> Regarding the XKB feature, I hope someone here will know what should be done
>> so the bug can be fixed.
>>
>>> It should be deactivated while the Mode_switch is hold.  I.e. it should
>>> work like Shift, if you like.  Otherwise there's little point in it, since
>>> I could just press `C-\' twice as well with not so much more trouble.  When
>>> it works like a modifier, I can keep on typing as normal, while switching
>>> to a different layout significantly disrupts the process.

> As I can see, everything works fine in CVS Emacs already.  The Mode_switch
> key temporarily disables the russian layout while it is held in Emacs.
> Perhaps something is wrong in Paul's configuration where Mode_switch
> doesn't work correctly.

Does that hold for XIM russian layout or for LEIM russian layout or for both?

>> * BUGS
>>
>> +** When using a russian+latin layout with
>> +
>> +   setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us,ru -variant ,winkeys
>> +
>> +pressing the W key while control is held generates a С-Ц rather than C-W.

> This is not a bug, but quite a useless feature.  It enables only
> a small subset of standard Emacs keybindings in the russian layout.

The way I understand the situation it is a bug because the above setting
exlpicitly asks for it not to happen.  If you want to get С-Ц rather than
C-W than you'd use a different config.
In any case if it's a feature, it should be possible to turn it off since in
such a situation it can be a really annoying feature.

        Stefan