Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:44:33 +0200

>> Instead of disabling some menu items one by one, wouldn't it be
>> better to disable all menu items if the frame attached to the menu
>> is not visible.  Operating on non-visible frames from the visible
>> menu is not only confusing, but might be dangerous.
>
> Err, what menu is shown when there is no visible frame?

In GTK builds it is possible to detach the toolbar, menu or submenu
from the frame.  After iconifying the frame, the floating menu is
still shown.

> (Recall what the OS X desktop looks like.)

I see this is not possible on OS X.  But then I wonder why do you make
more menu items disabled for non-visible frames in your patch, if on
OS X, where the menu bar always applies to the selected frame, there is
no way to have a menu with disabled items?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/