Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: menu-bar: disable items when no frame visible
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:01:22 +0200

>     Instead of disabling some menu items one by one, wouldn't it be better
>     to disable all menu items if the frame attached to the menu is not
> visible.
>     Operating on non-visible frames from the visible menu is not only
> confusing,
>     but might be dangerous.
>
> That is right in general, but there might be some specific things,
> such as finding a file, that are safe even when the frame is not
> visible.

Wouldn't it be easier to enable some safe menu items in the completely
disabled menu, than to disable dangerous/inappropriate menu items in the
menu where all menu items are enabled by default.

> Especially if that command will make the frame appear.

I think this is an essential requirement.  Currently a command called
from the menu doesn't make the frame appear.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/