RE: Buffer listing in multiple frames/ttys

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Buffer listing in multiple frames/ttys
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:24:32 -0800

       I'm not sure what is meant by a buffer being "selected" in a frame
       (displayed?), but when pop-up-frames = t, there is only one buffer
       that is displayed in a given frame, by default. If you just open
       new buffers (e.g. `C-x 4 f', `C-x d', *Help*, *info*, whatever), by
       default they each open in a new frame.

    Even with pop-up-frames set to t, `C-x d' and `C-h i' display dired
    and *info* in the selected frame (actually, in the selected window).

I meant C-x 4 d. You're right about `C-h i', of course.

What I meant was: open buffers in new frames (in whatever way). I wouldn't
expect those new frames to have multiple-buffer values for frame-parameter
`buffer-list', but they do.

    You have other customizations.  Just experiment with `emacs -q' and
    `pop-up-frames' set to t.

I did. And I just did so again.

 emacs -q

 M-x set-variable pop-up-frames RET t RET
 C-x 4 f <some file>
 C-x 4 d <some directory>
 C-h f <some function>

Do C-x C-b in each buffer. I get these values for the `buffer-list'
parameter:

 - for the file buffer: 1) the file buffer, 2) the minibuffer,
   3) the directory buffer

 - for the directory buffer: 1) the directory buffer, 2) the minibuffer

 - for the *Help* buffer: 1) the *Help* buffer, 2) the minibuffer,
   3) the directory buffer

That's with just 3 buffers (+ the minibuffer). It appears that when I do,
for instance, C-x 4 d (or f), the new buffer is also added to the
`buffer-list' of the frame that I executed the command from. IOW, I suspect
that the code is assuming that the new buffer will be "selected" (displayed)
in the same frame, so it gets added to the list.

Also, if I click a buffer name (e.g. *Help*) in buffer *Buffer List*, then
*Buffer List* gets added to the `buffer-list' of the other frame (e.g.
*Help*), even if it already existed.

Again, this is a CVS snapshot from July. If others don't see such behavior,
then perhaps this has been fixed.