Re: `hard-newline' changes trigger format=flowed in Gnus

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: `hard-newline' changes trigger format=flowed in Gnus
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:10:28 +0100

On Tue, Nov 29 2005, Chong Yidong wrote:

> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> When copying some lines from the mail header (in Gnus' message mode)
>> into the mail body, some of the newlines seem to be marked as `hard'.
>> When sending (or previewing) the message, the function
>> `fill-flowed-encode' detects the hard newlines and the whole message
>> is encodes as format=flowed which leads to an unexpected output.
>
> What is the intended purpose of fill-flowed-encode?  What is the
> reason for message-mode to do anything special when there are hard
> newlines in the buffer?

There is some information in emacs-mime.texi:

,----[ (info "(emacs-mime)Flowed text") ]
| The Emacs MIME library will respect the `use-hard-newlines' variable
| (*note Hard and Soft Newlines: (emacs)Hard and Soft Newlines.) when
| encoding a message, and the "format=flowed" Content-Type parameter when
| decoding a message.
|
|    On encoding text, regardless of `use-hard-newlines', lines
| terminated by soft newline characters are filled together and wrapped
| after the column decided by `fill-flowed-encode-column'.  Quotation
| marks (matching `^>* ?') are respected.  The variable controls how the
| text will look in a client that does not support flowed text, the
| default is to wrap after 66 characters.  If hard newline characters are
| not present in the buffer, no flow encoding occurs.
| [...]
`----

IMHO, it won't hurt to add a short note and reference to this
explanation in gnus.texi and message.texi.  The only occurrence is in
the "New Features" section (info "(gnus)Oort Gnus").  Suggestions?

On Wed, Nov 30 2005, Chong Yidong wrote:

> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> the changes related to `hard-newline' seem to provoke undesired
>> behavior in Gnus.
>
> I found out that it's not necessary to use hard-newline in those
> places after all.  I've reverted the 2005-11-29 changes to
> mailheader.el

Thanks.  AFAICS this fixed the problem.

Bye, Reiner.
--