Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:52:37 -0500

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>       It may be a good idea to add a button to Customize buffers, labelled
>       "Find option...", that calls apropos-variable.
>
>     Good idea - or at least a menu item (haven't looked - maybe there is one
>     already?). There are already quite a few buttons...
>
> I think this would only be marginally useful, not enough to justify
> the added complexity, so my decision is not to add it.

In my experience, the biggest problem with Customize is that it is
very difficult to find a user option, because of the sheer number of
customization groups and options.  That's the main problem I had back
when I was learning to use Emacs.  In fact, I found it easier to learn
Emacs Lisp and write a .emacs file than to use Customize.

As for additional complexity, I implemented the idea for my own
personal amusement, and it was easy.