Re: Buffer listing in multiple frames/ttys

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Buffer listing in multiple frames/ttys
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 23:32:34 +0200

> Now, I like these definitions as it makes more sense for me to keep
> the buffer cycle frame-local, but they do have one disadvantage: the
> `next-buffer'/`prev-buffer' cycle will not usually contain all
> buffers---just those that were displayed in the current frame.  To
> reach the rest, the user needs to use `switch-to-buffer', or
> equivalent.

This is a grave disadvantage.  `next-buffer' and `prev-buffer' should be
able to cycle all buffers.

> AFAICS there have not yet been any Emacs releases with
> `next-buffer'/`prev-buffer', so if the frame-local behaviour is
> preferable (I think it is), then it should be safe to change them now.

BTW, not having `prev-buffer' in a Emacs release also gives an
opportunity to rename `prev-buffer' to `previous-buffer' to be
consistent with all other similar functions where currently we have:

prev-buffer                        previous-button
previous-char-property-change      previous-complete-history-element
previous-completion                previous-error
previous-error-no-select           previous-frame
previous-history-element           previous-line
previous-matching-history-element  previous-multiframe-window
previous-overlay-change            previous-property-change
previous-single-property-change    previous-window

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/