Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...

From: Peter Whaite
Subject: Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 14:09:09 -0500

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

> That's the point of linking Customize to apropos, so that you can
> search for the option you want.

I seem to have missed much of this discussion, but when I first ran
across the customize beast I wished there was a 'Search' field or button
in the customize buffer.  Now that I know about the customize-apropos
functions I dont wish so much, but it would still be useful for
newcomers.

At the very least the text at the top of the customize buffers should
mention the apropos functions.

You would also expect something about finding customizations to be in
the info that is displayed when you press the 'Help' button, but there
is nothing obvious.  The documentation for 'customize-apropos' is under
'Specific Customization' which doesn't exactly jump out at you.  How
about renaming it to 'Finding Customizations', and changing the info
node header to 'Finding and Customizing Specific Items'?

There is also no mention of customize-apropos-options,
customize-apropos-groups, or customize-apropos-faces.  There should be.

--
Peter Whaite