Re: Release of CC Mode 5.31

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Release of CC Mode 5.31
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 12:07:04 -0500

    After I saw the problem, but before I reported it, I recompiled all
    the cc-*.el files, by "make recompile".  Perhaps that command does not
    compile the files in the order you mention.  It would be nice if it
    did that automatically.

There is no Emacs feature to control order of compilation,
so there would be no easy way to make that automatic.

However, I wonder about this:

    > After downloading the new cc-langs.el, you need to byte-compile first
    > cc-langs.el (which builds the macro c-init-language-vars), then
    > cc-mode.el (which expands this macro (in the defun
    > c-init-language-vars-for)).

Why is it crucial to compile cc-langs.el before compiling cc-mode.el?
Once you have deleted cc-langs.elc, compilation of cc-mode.el will use
the source file, cc-langs.el.  Does compilation of cc-mode.el fail to
work properly with the interpreted cc-langs.el?