Re: Release of CC Mode 5.31

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Release of CC Mode 5.31
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 23:54:00 -0500

    Note that e.g. if we change the dolist macro, it's not enough to recompile
    subr.el before the other files, since we also need to redump the executable
    after recompiling subr.el.

Bootstrapping ought to handle this case properly, right?

I do not want to introduce dependency information about macros in
subr.el and other preloaded files.  It would be a lot of added
complexity, a lot of work, and not worth the trouble.

However, for macros defined in non-preloaded files, the files that use
them should use `require' to insure they are loaded before they are
needed.  This way, deleting the .elc files for the macro definitions
ought to be enough to make them work properly.