Re: address@hidden: weird behavior of ediff with multiple displays]

From: Lőrentey Károly
Subject: Re: address@hidden: weird behavior of ediff with multiple displays]
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 14:24:43 +0100

Michael Kifer <address@hidden> writes:
> If you try your routine:
> emacs-cvs -Q -q --display :0.0 --eval '(make-frame-on-display
> "localhost:10.0")
> through an ssh tunnel, as you described, but instead of using ediff try to
> eval this:
>
> (make-frame
>    (list
>    '(name . "FOOBAR")
>    '(minibuffer . nil)
>    '(user-position . t)
>    '(vertical-scroll-bars . nil)
>    '(menu-bar-lines . 0)
>    '(tool-bar-lines . 0)
>    '(auto-lower . nil)
>    '(auto-raise . t)
>    '(visibility . nil)
>    '(width . 1) '(height . 1)))
>
> then when the dust settles you will see an unrequested minibuffer frame as
> well. In fact, the FOOBAR frame doesn't show up at all, but only the
> unrequested minibuffer.

The unexpected behaviour is the spurious creation of a minibuffer
frame.  It is created because Emacs does not initialize
`default-minibuffer-frame' when it creates the first frame with a
minibuffer on a new display device.  I fixed this bug in CVS.

Note that after evaluating the above expression, the FOOBAR frame is
present, but it is invisible, as requested in the visibility
parameter.  Note that a minibuffer frame is not created when the
visibility spec is removed---I don't know why that happens, but it
could be another bug.

--
Károly