Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...

From: Peter Whaite
Subject: Re: fancy-splash-screen customize group...
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 16:34:46 -0500

Richard M. Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

> Indeed, the Help link takes one to a node whose menu includes Saving
> Customizations.  I think we should change that menu item to
>
> * Saving Customizations::    How to save customizations in a different
>   file.

Yes this is much better.

There is still no clear item telling people how to find customizations
though.  I think there should be a new item, 'Finding Customizations'.

> Whether to delete the Custom File button is a different question.
> For now, it seems useful to leave it.

I don't see why.  The latest customization patch from Lennart is a big
improvement, and the preamble now reads:

    Editing an option value changes only the text in the buffer.  The
    State button next to the option can be used to set or save the value.

    Saving an option normally edits your init file. See [custom file]
    for information on how to save in a different file.

    See [help] for more information.

I would still delete the sentence "See [custom file]..." though:

    Saving an option normally edits your init file.  See [help] for more
    information.

The word "normally" will tell anyone who really cares that
customizations dont have to be saved in .emacs, and then they will look
at the help where, with the change above, they will immediately find the
answer.

--
Peter Whaite