Re: pgg symmetric encryption patch

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: pgg symmetric encryption patch
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:43:26 +0100

Hi.  I'm belatedly looking into your PGG patches.  The reason is that
the we want to synchronize them with Gnus CVS, because that is the
origin of the files.  If Gnus CVS is later synched with Emacs CVS,
your patches would conflict, and it will be time consuming to sort out
the mess.  So I want the files to be in sync.

Ken Manheimer <address@hidden> writes:

> all of my experiments involve the current pgg code found in the
> gnu.org lisp/gnus CVS.

You may also check with the files in Gnus CVS.  The Gnus 5.10.x branch
is automatically synched to Emacs HEAD CVS, so it now has your
patches, but Gnus CVS HEAD is developed concurrently, and fixes to PGG
are installed there first.  I try to keep Gnus CVS HEAD and Emacs CVS
HEAD in sync.  If you are contributing more patches, this may be
useful to know.

> 2. i also have some fundamental problems with the way unaltered pgg's
>    passphrase caching system is wired.  i am not sure about my analysis,
>    and would love to be corrected, and filled in about how it actually does
>    work.  (the passphrase cache routines could really use some informative
>    docstrings.)

Right.  Gnus CVS HEAD is using password.el for this purpose.  I
proposed earlier to make Emacs CVS HEAD also use it, but it was then
considered too late before the Emacs release to make any feature
additions, so I didn't install it.  However, your changes are much
larger than mine, and I believe if PGG used password, it would be much
cleaner.

So I'm proposing to add password.el to Emacs CVS HEAD now.  This would
clean up PGG and enable the general password infrastructure that Gnus
CVS HEAD uses.

I will now compare Emacs CVS HEAD pgg with Gnus CVS HEAD pgg to see
which patches have been applied, and which should be synchronized in
either direction.

Thanks.