Re: address@hidden: RE: weird defadvice bug with byte-compilation]

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: weird defadvice bug with byte-compilation]
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 23:14:32 -0500

    Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable my-mode)
      (and my-mode)
      x-create-frame(((visibility) (height . 14) (width . 80) (unsplittable .
t)))
      x-create-frame-with-faces(((height . 14) (width . 80) (unsplittable . t)))
      make-frame(((height . 14) (width . 80) (unsplittable . t)))

I think I see the reason for this error:

    (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap "II")))
      (setq mymap (make-sparse-keymap))
      (define-key menu-bar-search-menu [ise]  '("" . ise))
      (put 'ise 'menu-enable '(and my-mode))

The menu command's enable condition tests a void variable.
So this error seems to be correct.

    It sounds like some frame's glyph matrices were not freed for some
    reason?

Or maybe they were originally used, and counted, more times
than they should have been.

So I think the first question is, was glyph_matrix_count correct
before check_glyph_memory was called?  If so, there must be a bug in
free_glyphs.  If it was not correct, then how did it get to be wrong?

I suspect that it has to do with getting an error while
part way through creating a frame.  Maybe that left an inconsistent
value for glyph_matrix_count.