RE: address@hidden: RE: weird defadvice bug withbyte-compilation]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: address@hidden: RE: weird defadvice bug withbyte-compilation]
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 10:17:39 -0800

        Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable my-mode)

    I think I see the reason for this error:

        (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap "II")))
          (setq mymap (make-sparse-keymap))
          (define-key menu-bar-search-menu [ise]  '("" . ise))
          (put 'ise 'menu-enable '(and my-mode))

    The menu command's enable condition tests a void variable.
    So this error seems to be correct.

See my previous message - I already indicated that the menu-enable is
testing a void variable. The question is why it is void.

There are a couple of questions involved (see my email), including how
define-minor-mode works. My understanding was that define-minor-mode was
designed to replace an explicit defcustom or defvar for the mode variable
(my-mode), in addition to replacing an explicit definition of the minor-mode
toggle function. If that is the intention, then this case seems to point to
a hole in the implementation (?) - users of define-minor-mode must
nevertheless be concerned with also defining the mode variable, if they
explicitly use it in a menu-enable property.

And, again, there seem to be other things going on in this case, as well:

    If I remove any part of the code I submitted with the bug, the
    bug goes away. This suggests that it involves: 1) the mode-line
    indication (minor-mode-map-alist), 2) the menu-enable condition
    (that's the code that provokes the error message by evaluating
    the unbound variable), 3) the keymap, 4) the defadvice in foo.el,
    and 5) the defadvice in bar.el.