Re: alternativnyj encoding

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: alternativnyj encoding
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:23:00 +0100

Werner LEMBERG asked:
> Maybe the wrong list, but: Am I right that the Alternativnyj encoding
> can handled neither by GNU iconv nor by libiconv?

This is correct. Furthermore, this encoding is not one of the widespread
encodings listed under "Cyrillic" or "RFC 1345" in
   http://www.haible.de/bruno/charsets/conversion-tables/index.html

> Is there an alternative name (note the pun) for it?

No, there isn't. I checked the tables. Probably most texts in this encoding
never used the accents and therefore specifying CP866 instead of
Alternativnyj worked fine for everyone.

> According to this page it was (is?) quite
> popular in Russia, so I can't believe it's missing...

The most-used encodings in Russia already for several years are
KOI8-R and UTF-8. KOI8-R has overshadowed ISO-8859-5 and CP866, so my
guess is that also the Alternativnyj users have migrated to KOI8-R.

Bruno