Re: Info bug with @xref{Sample .emacs File, , , ccmode, the CC Mode Manu

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: Info bug with @xref{Sample .emacs File, , , ccmode, the CC Mode Manual}.
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:44:53 -0600

    > More to the point, makeinfo has never given a warning about it.

So many documents do not follow this convention that I think it would do
more harm than good to have a warning about it.  As has been noted, in
practice there are many circumstances where a period works out ok.  The
manual disallows it because I don't wish to try to enumerate when it is
ok and when it isn't.

The right fix (as I've said before) is to change Info format to allow
arbitrary characters in node names.  We've discussed this at some
length, but no implementation has been done :(.

karl