Re: customize-apropos

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: customize-apropos
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 18:45:49 -0600 (CST)

Drew Adams wrote:

   But current policy also shows non-customizable variables if you use
   the numeric arg.

I have already told you: this is not a policy, but a way to _override_
a policy.  The _default_ behavior (no numeric arg) is the policy.  (If
not, Richard can correct me.)  I kept the numeric arg just so if
anybody, for any reason whatsoever, had gotten used to it, they would
still be able to use it (although I seriously doubt that this applies
to a lot of people).  That numeric argument is an *obscure unimportant
detail*.  Let us just stop worrying about it.

       Your suggested replacement text is incorrect.  If you really know what
       you are doing, you _can_, up to a point, customize these variables in
       the Custom buffer.

   I take your word for it (but tell me how; I'm curious).

Just use the State button and then Set or Save.  Both work.

       I also believe that the usefulness of this feature for advanced users is
       limited.  I have never used it except out of curiosity.

   I'm not clear on which feature you're referring to.

The feature that you can customize any variable defined with defvar
(with or without leading `*') in a Custom buffer (although not all
usual features will work).

We are discussing the obscure fringes of Custom now.  It do not
believe that it is not worth spending a lot of time on this.

Sincerely,

Luc.