Re: Emacs FAQ for Emacs 22.1

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: Emacs FAQ for Emacs 22.1
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:59:25 +0100

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

> I am not sure.  Perhaps either way is ok, or it may depend
> on the context.

I think both methods have strengths: Customize is easy for beginners, so
we should encourage them to use it.  But learning how to program in
Emacs Lisp is important too, and setting up a .emacs file is the first
step.

What I've done in this particular case is mention the Customize method
first, and give the equivalent Lisp form as an alternative.

By the way, the FAQ doesn't cover Customize much: it explains what it
is, but not really how to use it.  Perhaps we should add a node named
"How do I customize Emacs?" explaining how to use Customize, and also
pointing to the "How do I setup a .emacs file?" node.  WDYT?

--
Romain Francoise <address@hidden> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the