Re: Emacs FAQ for Emacs 22.1

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs FAQ for Emacs 22.1
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 14:05:39 +0100

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     If `M-x customize-variable' is the preferred method then probably we
>     should replace things like
>
>      Place the following Lisp form in your `.emacs' file:
>
>        (setq scroll-step 1)
>
>     with
>
>      Use M-x customize-variable to set scroll-step to 1
>
> I am not sure.  Perhaps either way is ok, or it may depend
> on the context.

Post Scriptum: I think that in the electronic version of the manual,
there should be something like

    Use

        M-x customize-variable RET scroll-step RET

    in order to set scroll-step to 1

and the line with the customize-variable should be _clickable_ and
start customization.  gnus provides such buttons when it encounters
such a line in a Usenet posting or Email; it is a pity that our own
internal documentation does not work in that manner: it would
certainly make the manual more compelling.