Re: customize-apropos

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: customize-apropos
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 23:33:46 -0600 (CST)

Drew Adams wrote:

   Wrt the doc and C-u behavior - are we now in the game of "You can do this;
   DON'T do it!!"? If so, I have nothing special to offer on how best to say
   that. I would suggest, instead, to pick one or the other. Experts don't need
   this (C-u) any more than regular users.

Richard decided to keep the numeric arg.  That is fine with me.  If
Richard changes his mind and decides to get rid of it, that is fine
with me too.  I do not care either way.  That numeric arg has been
around for quite some time and maybe somebody might have gotten used
to it.  In as far as I am concerned, that is the main argument for
keeping it.

I do not believe that the numeric arg is really useful (it is just a
confusing alternative to apropos-variable), but it does no real harm
either.  Unless somebody uses it for no other reason that they do not
know about apropos-variable.  That is why I proposed my patch pointing
out in the docstrings that in most cases using `apropos-variable' is
more useful than using the numeric arg to `customize-apropos'.

If Richard believes that this patch is a good idea, I will install
it.  Otherwise, we can just leave everything as it is right now.

Sincerely,

Luc.