Re: c-submode-indicators at wrong place in minor-mode-alist

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: c-submode-indicators at wrong place in minor-mode-alist
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:08:12 +1300

 > >  I have two suggestions:
 >
 > >  1) Clicking mouse-2 on the characters after "C" on the mode-line describes
 > >  c-submode-indicators.  It would be helpful if this variable was documented
 > >  to explain the meaning of its value.
 >
 > >  2) The sub-menus of the "Toggle..." menu-item should be radio buttons so
 > >  the user can see their current value.
 >
 > >Also the menu item "Syntactic indentation" is permanently disabled and can't
 > >be toggled.
 >
 > As a matter of interest, are any of these mousey things coupled with a
 > particular window manager or toolkit or the like?  (Personally, I develop
 > with Emacs on a tty.)

If you develop on a tty, how do you know if GUI related features work?  The
patch below seems to fix it for me.  I think I have associated each function
with the right variable but these aren't really minor modes in the normal
sense (if they were the functions and variables would have the same name).

 > >For some reason none of the defvars in cc-langs.el seem to have doc strings.
 >
 > Some do - `c-identifier-syntax-table', for example.

OK, but it seems particularly important that c-submode-indicators has one
if the user is to understand the mode line.

 > >The missing functionality might be due to my setup: CC mode almost seems
 > >to be a dialect of Emacs Lisp with its own virtual world of macros.
 >
 > That's not unfair.  ;-)  Most of these macros are for smoothing over the
 > differences between (X)Emacs versions (we've only just dropped support
 > for Emacs 19.34), getting a steady compilation environment (so that byte
 > compilation will do the Right Thing regardless of what's loaded in the
 > Emacs Lisp space) or for language variables.

CC mode seems to have become much more complicated, but that might be because
its much more powerful.  I don't know, I just find it hard to understand.

Nick

*** cc-langs.el 04 Dec 2005 00:50:02 +1300      1.35
--- cc-langs.el 14 Dec 2005 22:03:58 +1300
***************
*** 258,266 ****
             (c-fn-region-is-active-p)]))
        "----"
        ("Toggle..."
!        ["Syntactic indentation" c-toggle-syntactic-indentation t]
!        ["Auto newline"          c-toggle-auto-newline t]
!        ["Hungry delete"         c-toggle-hungry-state t])))

  ;;; Syntax tables.
--- 258,269 ----
             (c-fn-region-is-active-p)]))
        "----"
        ("Toggle..."
!        ["Syntactic indentation" c-toggle-syntactic-indentation
!       :style toggle :selected c-syntactic-indentation]
!        ["Auto newline" c-toggle-auto-newline
!       :style toggle :selected c-auto-newline]
!        ["Hungry delete" c-toggle-hungry-state
!       :style toggle :selected c-hungry-delete-key])))

  ;;; Syntax tables.