Re: Patch and Cygwin

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Patch and Cygwin
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:35:57 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 01:07:30 +0100
From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden, Emacs Devel <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>

This is a summary of my tests with Cygwin patch and different line ending styles. (Only LF and CRLF are tested here.)

I have downloaded patch 2.5.9 from ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/diffutils/patch-2.5.9.tar.gz and compiled it using Cygwin. I have used this patch and the patch that currently comes with Cygwin to do some tests of patch and diff when the files to compare and patch have different line ending styles. I have also made this test using MSYS and GnuWin32 utilities.

The result is that the only option that seems to be able to handle the mix of line endings is Cygwin using DOS line endings with patch 2.5.9. (The only thing that did not work was preservation of line endings in the patched file, but that seems to be a small problem here.)

I think this is off-topic on emacs-devel, so I will post a meaningful
reply only to the other adressees.  Here I will only say that your
conclusions are wrong, and that your tests work for me with a variety
of other Diff/Patch combinations.
Please do. I CC:ed you because I thought you had objections. If you give me other options I will add them to the tests. You may also suggest other tests.

But I do not think this is OT on the devel list, but the discussion around it is.