Re: removing flickering in emacs

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: removing flickering in emacs
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:26:11 +0100

Michal Maruška wrote:
Resizing. I have a command in my Window Manager (sawfish) which
adds/removes a "row" to a X window. If i run, maybe a couple of them in
sequence,  I get a beating in my eyes.

So, I am now relieved, when i resize windows ---I can read while resizing.

I don't use a window manager that shows context while resizing, so I haven't given this any thought. Emacs does seem to do a lot of clear area, that might be a bug. Since XDrawImageString is used anyway, some clear area calls could possibly be removed. However, I don't see this as such a big problem that requires such a big change as your apporach is.

And besides, when Emacs starts to use anti-aliased fonts, we can't use XDrawImage string anyway, so those clear areas might come back.

        Jan D.