Re: 50MB large auto-save file after Emacs crash

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 50MB large auto-save file after Emacs crash
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 22:24:40 +0200

> From: Stephen Berman <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:28:08 +0100
>
> > Also, please make sure your shell setup doesn't disable core dumps
> > (with a ulimit command).
>
> My system is in fact set up not to create core files

So it is plausible that Emacs crashed, but didn't leave a core dump
file behind.  Too bad.

> but I can change that.  Can you recommend a reasonable maximum size?

I recommend `unlimited'.  I'm serious: there's no way to know in
advance how large will be the memory footprint of your Emacs (or any
other program, for that matter) when it crashes.  The core file that
describes a crash is worth its every byte in gold.

> > In general, if Emacs crashes, it should leave behind a core dump file;
> > if core files are not disabled, then it's possible that Emacs was
> > either killed by the OS (thus the advice to look in SYSLOG), or it
> > simply exited.
>
> It appears in this case to be the latter.

No, I don't think so: if it exited, it would have saved the files, not
leave auto-save files.  I think it crashed.

> FWIW, I still have the
> auto-save file, but even compressed it's bigger than 13MB, so I don't
> want to attach it.  Anyway, I doubt it's useful, but just to get an
> idea of it, I've attached the first 95 lines.

What was the name of the file?