Re: address@hidden: Coding problem with Euro sign]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Coding problem with Euro sign]
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:19:10 +0200

> From: Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:59:02 -0700
>
> Ah, I misunderstood the following passage from the MS-DOS and MULE info
> node:
>
> ,----
> |    MS-Windows provides its own codepages, which are different from the
> | DOS codepages for the same locale.  For example, DOS codepage 850
> | supports the same character set as Windows codepage 1252; DOS codepage
> | 855 supports the same character set as Windows codepage 1251, etc.  The
> | MS-Windows version of Emacs uses the current codepage for display when
> | invoked with the `-nw' option.
> `----
>
> So 850 and 1252 assign the same set of characters to different code
> points?

Yes.  In the quoted paragraph, ``the same character set'' refers to
the _underlying_ Emacs character set: Latin-1, Latin-2, etc.  cpNNN
are not character sets, they are encodings (a.k.a. coding systems) of
the character sets they support.

Also note that in the CVS version of Emacs, codepage.el is used only
by the MS-DOS build; other builds, including the MS-Windows port, use
code-pages.el, which is an entirely different implementation of the
same functionality.