Problem of auto-fill-mode for wide character

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: Problem of auto-fill-mode for wide character
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 23:58:44 +0800

Hello everyone,

I'm very happy to see that Emacs supports Unicode internally,
but there is a problem in auto-fill-mode with this modification.
I'm going to explain why I think it's because of Unicode support.

In Emacs 21, some wide characters, such as Chinese characters,
are inserted with the command 'encoded-kbd-self-insert-iso2022
-8bit'. This makes it different from inserting command for ASCII
characters, which are insterted with 'self-insert-command'. Auto-
fill-mode works fine in this way (although I don't know about
the detail); if one inputs more Chinese characters beyond 'current
-fill-column', these Chinese characters will be moved to the next
line automatically. Perhaps it's because Chinese characters are
inserted with 'encoded-kbd-self-insert-iso2022-8bit' other than
'self-insert-command'.

In the current Unicode 2 branch, Chinese characters are inserted
with the command 'self-insert-command' as ASCII characters.
This makes auto-fill in Chinese like other languages such as English,
since "in Auto Fill mode, lines are broken automatically _at spaces_
when they get longer than the desired width". This is good to
languages in which words are separated with spaces, but at
least it's not appropriate for Chinese, because there are _no_
spaces between Chinese characters. So one can force Emacs
auto-fill either by inserting spaces or by pressing M-q to invoke
'fill-paragraph', both of them is not "natural" in Chinese editing.

Is my understanding correct? Could somebody help solve this
problem? Thanks.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/