Re: Document option tool-bar-mode

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Document option tool-bar-mode
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:58:53 -0600 (CST)

Bill Wohler wrote:

      You can turn display of tool bars on or off with @kbd{M-x
   -tool-bar-mode}.
   +tool-bar-mode} or by customizing the option @samp{tool-bar-mode}.

The two things above are described as equivalent, but they are not.
The first is strictly for the current session, the second is usually
meant to be permanent.  It is @code{tool-bar-mode}, not @samp.
`customizing' is ambiguous.  It does not consistently refer to the
Customize interface, but is often used in a more general sense.

I prefer the following patch, where the word `variable' still could be
replaced by `option', depending on what we decide in another
discussion.   It only talks about turning toolbars _off_ permanently,
because they are enabled by default in all situations where they make
sense.

      You can turn display of tool bars on or off with @kbd{M-x
    tool-bar-mode}.  You can turn tool bars permanently off by putting the
    line @code{(tool-bar-mode 0)} in your @file{.emacs} file, or by saving
    the variable @code{tool-bar-mode} through the Customize interface.

Sincerely,

Luc.