Re: Should autoloaded functions show LIB.el for its location?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Should autoloaded functions show LIB.el for its location?
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 09:31:47 -0500

>> > I just noticed that for an autoloaded function like
>> apropos-variable'    > the location is shown as "apropos", not
>> "apropos.el". Is that    > intentional?
>> >
>> In describe-function of course. Sorry.
>>
>> Since the file's name is `apropos.el', it would be clearer (all else
>> being equal) to show `apropos.el'.
>>
> Does the attached small fix do the right thing?

No, because the autoload entry may say "foo.el" or "foo.elc" instead of
"foo", in which case adding a ".el" doesn't make much sense.  I think it's
better to leave it as it is: after all, maybe you only have a "foo" file and
no "foo.el" or "foo.elc" file.

The only good alternative I can think of otherwise is to do a locate-library
to find the file that would be used if the function were to be loaded.

        Stefan