Re: Tip: restoring your CVS access to savannah

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Tip: restoring your CVS access to savannah
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:11:00 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:16:31 +0000 (GMT)
>> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>>
>> all I had to do to get my access working again was to change my
>> ...../CVS/Root files from:
>>
>>     address@hidden:/cvsroot/emacs
>>
>> to:
>>
>>     address@hidden:/cvsroot/emacs
>>
>>            ^^^^

>Yeah, and then get used to the gobbledygook it prints on every
>commit...

You mean,

    cvs commit: Using deprecated info format strings.  Convert your scripts to
    use the new argument format and remove '1's from your info file format
    strings.

?  It's not a very good warning message.  The verb "using" doesn't have a
subject, and it's difficult to guess.  Does "info" mean info, as in info
pages?  Probably not.  But it's something that's got "format strings" of
one kind or another.  I wonder what "scripts" are meant, because I didn't
use any, having merely typed "cvs commit programs.texi".  I wonder what
"argument" has a new format, and it would be interesting to know what the
old format is too.  "Remove my '1's"?  "From my info file format
strings"?

What was this guy smoking?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)