RE: Docstring line length

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Docstring line length
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 16:20:11 -0800

       The reason given for 67 for the first line was apparently
       its appearance in *Apropos*. I don't see the point of this.
       The doc string is prepended by 11 or 12 characters in any
       case (e.g. "  Variable: "), so presumably the
       guideline for other lines than the first should then be
       67+12=79, not 60.

    You apparently resize your frames to fit the buffer.  But most people
    use fixed 80 column frames.  Hence, the desirability for lines to be
    strictly less than 80 characters.

Yes, I do.

I'm sure most people do not do as I do, but I'm not sure that most people
use fixed 80-char frames. Do we have any user data to go on?

In any case, I also want the lines to be strictly less than 80 chars. I
proposed 70.