Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Bug, probably related to Custom Themes.
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:54:45 -0600 (CST)

The following bug is a regression.  It does not occur in Emacs 21.3.

I can not describe this using `emacs -q', since it involves saving in
your init file.

Do `M-x customize-group RET initialization'.

I assume that `inhibit-splash-screen' is at its standard setting (nil).
Toggle.  Save for future sessions.  Erase Customization.  Result:

(custom-reset-variables
 '(inhibit-splash-screen nil))

is written into one's Custom file, just before the
custom-set-variables form.  First of all, I do not know what those
lines are trying to accomplish, but what we just did is supposed to be
a no-op.  Therefore if that code does _anything_, it is a bug.  If it
does nothing, why is it there?

Worse to come.

I assume that `inhibit-default-init' is at its standard setting (nil).
Toggle.  Save for future sessions.  Erase Customization.
Now the above lines are gone and replaced with a bunch of whitespace
and then:

(custom-reset-variables
 '(inhibit-default-init nil))

As we do similar stuff for other options we always keep that
`custom-reset-variables' for the last one with the amount of leading
whitespace going to infinity.

Exactly the same stuff happens for faces.

What is going on here?

Sincerely,

Luc.